Earthquake

Robin Soderling of Sweden celebrates defeating Rafael Nadal of Spain at the French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris May 31, 2009.
Reuters

Robin Soderling defeats Rafael Nadal 6-2, 6-7(2), 6-4, 7-6(2).

He did exactly what I always thought it would take to beat Rafa at Roland Garros:

He hit him off the court.

That was about a 12 on the Richter scale as far as earthquakes go.

In defense of Soderling, who I realize few people like, he beat David Ferrer and Rafa back-to-back.

His performance today wasn't exactly a fluke.

He's always had the weapons to cause any player trouble on any surface, but he tends to choke big time against the elite.

In two matches (I consider Ferrer clay court elite), he did not choke.

I have to give him major props. As much as I hate choking, any player who holds his nerve and completes the task gets applause from me no matter who they take down.

Folks think this loss opens up the draw for Roger Federer.

It might.

But who else left in the draw can give Federer fits?

Andy Murray.

And the pressure on Federer to win this thing just increased tenfold.

::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog