Day 3: Nine Match Points

Serena Williams of the U.S. celebrates after winning her match against Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic during the French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris May 26, 2009.
Reuters

I'm so tired, I can hardly see. Not because Serena Williams wore me out by choking not once, but twice, to add far too much drama to what ought to have been a routine straight-set drubbing. Instead, she couldn't put away 8 match points against serve, in the middle of that she double-faulted to drop the second set, and despite serving for the match twice, both times having been down a break only to reel off 5 straight games to earn match points, both times she fell behind 0-40 and ultimately dropped serve.

I couldn't stop thinking about Mathilde Johansson from Day 1 as I twittered and tweeted all my frustration.

The gritty, slapstick-hitting, side-eye giving Klara Zakopalova, who dismissed Serena in three sets in Marbella a few weeks back, fought like a wounded animal to save 8 of 9 match points on her own serve. It took a forehand error on the 9th for her to finally surrender.

6-3, 7-6(5), 6-4.

Serena responded as photographed above. You can see her girls were about to jump out of their tight, tight cage.

No. I'm not so tired I can hardly see from any of that. I was in the field preparing it for summer crops. We had a light frost last night, so I'm glad I waited until the first week of June to plant or transplant.

Some of you know I'm a farmer. While the tennis players battled it out on the dirt in Paris today, I battled it out on the dirt in Maine.

I didn't see any other matches, so I trust our illustrious readers will supply more comments, post more links to the good stuff, and forgive my absence till tomorrow morning. It's supposed to rain hard around here so I should be glued to tennis all day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog