Day 6: Dutch Weather

Dutch weather by momono.

Not the climate, but the tennis reminded me of the cool, damp, soggy, drizzly, overcast, gloomy weather so often present in the Netherlands, a friend of mine said the whole country should be covered. Like a greenhouse. Or the newly-designed Centre Court at SW19. (I can hardly wait!)

The Dutch call such weather kut weer (pronounced something like "koot veer" in English). I'm not going to translate cut (it's not nice), but weer means weather.

Not nice weather.

Between Janko Tipsarevic's frailty, Venus Williams' lethargy, Dinara Safina's mediocrity, Rafael Nadal's predictability, and Maria Sharapova and Michelle Larcher de Brito's cacophony, there was no sun on the court, even though it shone brightly in the sky.

I hear Carla Suarez Navarro's backhand was giving a petulant Victoria Azarenka fits before the Belarusian-American was coached from the stands to hit drop shots, but I didn't get to see any of that because I don't get ESPN360 in Maine and ESPN2 refuses to show live tennis on TV after a certain hour.

I hope the sun will come out tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog