Dissent Of The Week

England's Andy Murray returns a ball to Serbia's Viktor Troicki during their match on Day 6 at the 2009 Wimbledon tennis championships at the All England Club on June 27, 2009. The event, the third Grand Slam tournament of 2009, runs from June 22  to  July  5, 2009. Murray won 6/2,6/3,6/4.
Getty

MMT said...

Craig:

I beg to differ. Power, like talent and luck, in tennis is vastly overrated. There are a lot of ways to win a point, game, set and match in tennis. To me, that's the beauty of the game.

I rather enjoy Murray's game on grass - the points don't last as long as they do with him on hard courts, and I find his game to be quite creative and interesting. I've never been a big fan of his, but I really enjoyed watching him at Queen's this year, and I think he's a favorite to win Wimbledon...and that's not just because of the media hype.

I myself have relatively little power for my level, but I try every chance I get to use spin, placement and my legs to win points particularly against players that could blow me off the court with power. I attack the net as often as I can when I feel I can't get it done from the back, which is my preference.

I don't think there's much honor in losing a tennis match playing the same way, particularly if it isn't working! Just ask James Blake. He plays his game all the time and you see the results.

Spotty at best.

I say kudos to Murray for developing a game with a lot of options. It will help him win a lot of matches, and there are a lot of players on tour that would do well to learn from his versatility both in shot selection and tactics.

I for one, am not remotely interested in big babe tennis, regardless of who's playing it.


From: Wimbledon 2009 Day 4 Open Thread

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog