Spotlight: Jill Craybas


Getty

Scott is at it again. This time, he shines the light on Jill Craybas, the only American woman left in the singles draw:

She came into the tournament on a four-match losing streak and hadn’t beaten a player ranked in the top 100 this year. But at the BNP Paribas Open, Jill Craybas racked up wins over former top-tenners Jelena Dokic and Nicole Vaidisova, as well as 16th seed Anabel Medina Garrigues. She now faces top seed Dinara Safina in the fourth round.

Craybas attributes this run to, “working really hard the last couple of months in the off-season. [i] worked on a lot of different things that my coach wanted me to experiment with a little bit. I think it’s starting to come together. I just keep fighting. I’ve been competing hard, and I think it’s been a big difference.

“Mentally, the last few weeks I’ve been a little bit stronger than I was at the beginning of the year,” said Craybas. “Instead of worrying about what I’m doing well or what’s not going well, I’ve just taken an approach of, even if things aren’t feeling quite the way I’d like them to, just going out and competing my hardest. The competing has really helped me, focusing on that a little bit more.”

Read the rest...

My fondest memory of Jill came during her interview after she beat Serena Williams at Wimbledon in 2005. The corps bombarded her with questions about Serena, Serena's fitness, Serena's game, Serena's forehand, etc... Jill calmly and pointedly made the reporters aware that this was her big day and she would only answer questions about herself, her game, and her team, thank you very much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog