2008 Inaugural Champions



Mikhail Youznhy, Chenai Open Champion
"I am very happy with this title but I did not play against Rafael Nadal today. He was dead and could not move, I have to thank Carlos (Moya) for keeping him on the court for four hours last night. I really can't say much more about the final, bad luck for Rafa. This week I started slowly but then played better and better round after round. It is a great start to 2008."

All I can say is: Wow.



Andy Murray, Qatar ExxonMobil Open Champion
"It was a really good week. The first four matches were not easy, but relatively comfortable, and that one was by far the toughest. Did a lot of running, and the quality of tennis was very high. Stan has improved a lot over the last six months since he came back from his knee injury. I’m happy with the way the match went today."



Michael Llodra, Next Generation Adelaide International Champion
“This win will give me a lot of confidence for sure. When I came here I was the last one into the tournament but I made good preparation in December and I knew I could play good. I played in my first ATP final at this tournament and now I win the last tournament in Adelaide so it is good history for me.”

He jumped into the river Torrens after his victory. But he kept his clothes on. How shocking.




Li Na, Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts Champion
"I am so surprised I won," Li said. "I had four months off without playing, staying in bed with my rib injury; I don't know how I've been able to come back like this. My team told me this morning that I had already had a good week and I may as well go out and try and win one more!"

Congratulations to all the first winners on the regular tour in 2008. Special mention to Li for winning the first tournament in her comeback, joining a short list of great champions from years past.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog