2008 Australian Open: Men's Final Preview



(3) Novak Djokovic (SRB) versus Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
A show of hands. Who saw this final coming at the beginning of the event? That's what I thought. But here we are, and this match could be a classic.

Since MadProfessah seems to be taking a well-deserved day off, I'll put up my two cents about the men's final.

And since my jinx powers this week have been quite sharp, I'm going to bore you all and not analyze the matchup, not post a prediction.

All I'll say is this: Having dispatched of the No. 1 and No. 2 players in the world in the semifinals in straight sets, both players are riding waves of confidence into this final. I read somewhere that Tsonga "owned" Djoke in the juniors. Will that translate into a mental advantage in their first ever professional meeting? In a Slam final, no less?

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

But Tsonga is as level-headed as a wise man.

Q. You try not to think about all the media and the different things that people want from you now that you've reached the final?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, no, I don't think about it. It's normal. You have to write on me, and I know my life so I don't have to read it in the paper.

Q. What do you have to do to win tomorrow night?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Just play ‑‑ just do my best, and that's it. I will see what's happened on the court, but I will do my best. If I win, that's unbelievable. And if I lose, I did my best, so no problem.

Tsonga's Pre-Final Interview

Who do you think will win? Vote on the sidebar. Comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog