Quote For The Day

"I think when Pete did it, I was a part of that one, too. I think when he did it in '02, everyone was saying how kind of lofty of an achievement it was. I don't know if we thought we would see it any time soon. Little did we know [Roger] was going to start it the next year and go after it.

"I mean, that's for you guys to do. It feels like two different ‑‑ it's like my childhood was Pete, and now it's kind of my grown life is Roger. It's different, because you view Pete in kind of this ‑‑ I don't know how to put it.

"I guess Roger is a contemporary of mine which didn't lessen the affect. I see Pete and Andre and I still get a little jittery. It's crazy to think it's come full circle and the magnitude of the numbers he's accomplished, it's pretty scary if you sit down and look at them and go through what it takes to accomplish that."

--Andy Roddick, on what it would mean to tennis history if Raja wins 14 Slams.

Interesting that both of those milestones will go right through him if Raja wins on Sunday. Andy couldn't win a Slam till Pete retired and then the guy who everyone likes to compare to Pete has stopped Andy from winning at least 6 Slams. Two Wimbledon finals, a US Open final, two Australian Open semifinals, a Wimbledon semifinal, and who knows how many just by virtue of Andy never really getting over the 2004 Wimbledon final. And, ironically, for many American fans and the pundits who hyped him to the hilt, Andy was supposed to be the next Pete.

Talk about being born on the wrong side of history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog