DC Or Bust

Once again, politics and tennis collide. I will be in Washington, D.C. through Wednesday for the swearing in of Barack Hussein Obama II as the 44th President of the United States of America. I'm sure I'll get a glimpse of some of the opening rounds of the Australian Open, given the time difference and all, and will report on what I saw as much as possible until I return home and glue my face to the TV.



Here's my quickie preview:

Roger Federer and Jelena Jankovic can waltz into the semifinals without breaking a sweat, even in the vicious summer Australian heat. The "Tough Draw" headline Yahoo! Sports ran for Raja yesterday made me spit out me drink. Such political spin.

Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams have their work cut out for them. It's an odd year. Will Serena be the last woman standing, as she was in 2003, 2005, and 2007 and reclaim the No. 1 ranking?

Will Elena Dementieva, who doesn't usually play well in Melbourne, go down to a surprise no-name? Or is this the year, after two great weeks of tennis and two titles, that she overcomes whatever it is she needs to overcome to get to week two?

Will Dinara Safina show up and show out? She's got to like her draw.

Will Venus Williams make it back to a semifinal? She's got to like her draw.

Will Andy Murray take the pressure of "favorite" and turn it into Slam success? Can he put together efficient victories in order to have the energy to go the distance? His beefed up body and confident swagger suggest that he can, but the hardest thing to do is something you've never done before.

Will Novak Djokovic defend? He's got to like his draw.

What will the American men bring to the plexicushion this year?

Who will be the surprise men's finalist? There may not be one, of course, but if there is, I'm going with Fernando Verdasco. Just because, well, that would be a surprise.

The season's first Slam is upon us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog