Day 11: Emotional

Andy Roddick of the US gestures after beating Britain's Andy Murray 6-4, 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 in a Men's Semi-Final match during the 2009 Wimbledon Tennis Championships at the All England Tennis Club, in southwest London, on July 3, 2009.
Getty

A rare few gave him a chance. But Andy Roddick silenced his critics, most of the pundits, and so many of the hoping fans by defeating Andy Murray on Centre Court in four breathtaking sets.

6-4, 4-6, 7-6(7), 7-6(5).

Stat of the match? Roddick won more and a higher percentage of return points than Murray and he converted 2 of 5 break points.

As a fan of tennis and as a fan of Roddick, I haven't been this emotional over a tennis match in 6 years. I really can't write what I want to because it's not fit for this blog. Nothing over-the-top, or anything like that, it's just too personal. Sometimes that's what tennis does to me. I love this sport because it's like life. And so when I see the first player I ever followed closely and the first player of whom I became a true fan overcome so much in his career to make another Slam final, at Wimbledon of all places, I take it personally.

I'll leave you with what a subdued but emotional Andy said after the match and the report of a touching moment I wish I could have witnessed.

“Throughout my career, I've had a lot of shortcomings but trying hard hasn't been one of them.

“I had to play my best tennis out there to win today. I can’t say enough good things about Andy’s game, but I can play some tennis sometimes. Not many people were giving me much of a chance at all. I knew if I could stay the course, I’d have a shot. That’s all you can ask for.

“Make no mistake, Andy's been a much better player than I have for the past year - I was just a bit better than him today.”

Roddick heads up the clubhouse stairs post-interview, sinking to his knees on the staircase, head in hands again. Club members applaud.

I'll drink to that as I shed a few more tears.

Andy Roddick of the U.S. reacts after defeating Andy Murray of Britain in their semi-final match at the Wimbledon tennis championships in London, July 3, 2009.
Reuters

Mother of Britains Andy Murray, Judy Murray (L),partner of Britain's Andy Murray, Kim Sears (2L) and  partner of US Andy Roddick, Brooklyn Decker (R) react at the end of the tennis match between Britain's Andy Murray and US Andy Roddick on Day 11 at the 2009 Wimbledon tennis championships at the All England Club on July 3, 2009. The event, the third Grand Slam tournament of 2009, runs from June 22  to  July  5, 2009. Roddick won 6/4,4/6,7/6,7/6.
Getty

Andy Roddick of the U.S. reacts after defeating Andy Murray of Britain in their semi-final match at the Wimbledon tennis championships in London, July 3, 2009.
Reuters

Andy Roddick of U.S. , right, commiserates with Britain's Andy Murray, after defeating him in their men's singles semifinal on the Centre Court at Wimbledon, Friday, July 3, 2009.
AP

Britain's Andy Murray waves after loosing against  US Andy Roddick during their semi final match on Day 11 at the 2009 Wimbledon tennis championships at the All England Club on July 3, 2009. The event, the third Grand Slam tournament of 2009, runs from June 22  to  July  5, 2009. Roddick won 6/4,4/6,7/6,7/6.
Getty

Andy Roddick of U.S.holds his face as he leaves the court after defeating Britain's Andy Murray, in their men's singles semifinal on the Centre Court at Wimbledon, Friday, July 3, 2009.
AP

US Andy Roddick jubilates after winning against  Britain's Andy Murray during their semi final match on Day 11 at the 2009 Wimbledon tennis championships at the All England Club on July 3, 2009. The event, the third Grand Slam tournament of 2009, runs from June 22  to  July  5, 2009. Roddick won 6/4,4/6,7/6,7/6.AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRK.
Getty



(Thanks, Pamela, for the YouTube link. You got me going all over again...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog