Lucky Loser Wins First ATP Final in Croatia



Sergiy Stakhovsky, PBZ Zagreb Indoors Champion
"I definitely surprised myself with my mental side that I could stand over to win the matches," said Stakhovsky. "It wasn't easy, to go when you serve for the match against against Karlovic, or Tipsarevic or any other player, in the far stages of the tournament such as the quarterfinals, semifinals or final. It's really not easy. I am just surprised the way I handled this."

The 22-year-old Ukrainian becomes the first lucky loser to win an ATP title since Christian Miniussi at Sao Paulo in 1991, and is only the fourth player to accomplish the achievement.



Elena Dementieva, Barclays Dubai Tennis Champion
"I think I was playing wrong tactically in the first set; I was hitting the ball too short. I realized I had to move her around more and not just stay back and hit crosscourt, and I had to step in more and go for my forehand winners. I became more aggressive and it worked. It was a great match and I was playing really well, probably my best match in a long time."



Nicolas Almagro, Abierto Mexicano TELCEL Champion
“When you can’t defeat someone’s tennis, you have to win on attitude. I went out swinging from the first point, based my attack on my serve, on my aggressive game and that has been one of the keys that made the difference.”



Flavia Pennetta, Abierto Mexicano TELCEL Champion
“I love Acapulco. This is one of my favorite tournaments. I always play my best tennis here. I don’t know what to say, I’m too happy.”



Steve Darcis, Regions Morgan Keenan Champion
Two ATP finals, two titles. The 23-year-old Belgian was the only player to break Robin Soderling's serve this week. “For my part, I tried to serve today very good and tried to put a lot of rhythm in,” Darcis said. “But he was serving pretty good in the second. In the tiebreaker, I tried not to miss. … It was going the right way today.”



Lindsay Davenport, The Cellular South Cup Champion
"I've never been one to look at the records but obviously it's great. It all seems surreal to me. To be up there with some of the greatest players who have ever played; I still can't believe I passed Monica [in career singles titles], she was my idol for such a long time. It's something I'll probably think about when I stop playing."

Savannah saw a lot of the women's matches this week. See what she has to say.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog