Venus Defends Dubai

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - FEBRUARY 20:  Venus Williams of the  USA poses with her winners trophy after her final match against Victoria  Azarenka of Belarus during day seven of the WTA Barclays Dubai Tennis  Championships at the Dubai Tennis Stadium on February 20, 2010 in Dubai,  United Arab Emirates.
Getty

But I don't.

Look. I couldn't bring myself to watch a single point. Won't watch one next week either. As Venus Williams might say, I'm not trying to be down with Dubai. Shahar Pe'er gets her previously denied visa to enter the country and perform, but even when she plays the defending champ -- the defending champ, the kind of defending champ that gives this kind of event serious stature in tennis -- she's relegated to an outer court? Which means the stature-giving defending champ is relegated to an outer court also.

That's some straight-up bullshit.

Hey, Venus. Why you still so down with Dubai?

I don't care how much the players on both tours like the event, it simply shouldn't exist and I wish it didn't.

But it does, so....

I give it lip when it crowns a champion.

Oy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog