Stop the Presses: Querrey Upsets Gasquet!



Sam Querrey rallied to defeat Richard Gasquet 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 in Monte-Carlo. Third claycourt match of 2008, third upset for the tall, spindly American with the big serve and forehand.

But there's more.

The game Sam brought to Melbourne and Las Vegas earlier this year led me to believe he'd perform better on clay than one might expect.

That he's defeated Carlos Moya and Andreas Seppi and now Gasquet supports that belief.

He moves well, is patient, and moves the ball around with angle and slices. He can construct a point, throw in a dropshot and smack a return-of-serve winner. He can unload on a that vicious forehand when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not saying he's going to win anything important on clay, but I'm impressed.

As for Richie Red Shoes, I called him a Class-A wimp for his Davis Cup shenanigans and I have nothing much to add today.

I'm looking forward to the quarterfinals now. We've got all-Russia, all-Spain, USA vs. Serbia, and Switzerland vs. Argentina.

I'll predict Russia, Spain, Serbia and Argentina in the final four.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog