Davis Cup Postscript



First, thank you to Savannah for filling in yesterday. I had technical issues over the weekend. I did recover from my migraine, but it left me rather lethargic. I guess it was good there were no big celebrations on Saturday night. I wouldn't have had the energy to snoop them out.

You all already know what happened. And I don't have any great pictures to show you. That was one part of the technical difficulty.

Here are a few final thoughts from the weekend.

Andy Roddick played some of the best tennis I've ever seen him play. Clearly some weight has been lifted from his shoulders. He remains perfect in clenching ties. Ten wins. No losses. An American record. Bravo.

Paul-Henri Mathieu played some of the worst tennis I've ever seen him play.

James Blake continues to amaze me.

Richard Gasquet is a Class A wimp. He played the dead rubber with no tape on his blistered hand. Two days before, he sat out the live rubber against Andy. All that talent and no spine to go with it. I have no other words for Mr. Red Shoes.

Michael Llodra has the most effective serve in men's tennis. Period.

Despite the rankings, Llodra is currently the best doubles player in men's tennis

Bob and Mike Bryan have a mental block against Frenchmen. I didn't believe it until I saw it. They were tentative, anxious, and had weights on their ankles. Yes, they were outplayed. (Arnaud Clement isn't exactly a slouch. He and Llodra make a great team.) But even after winning the first set, the twins didn't play their game. Limited poaching. Poor communication. No stick on their volleys. Couldn't convert a break point and they had several opportunities when they were in control of the point. It was kind of painful. Not that they lost, mind you. But the how of it.

The Winston-Salem crowd is simply the best tennis crowd in the world.

I'll get my photos figured out and post them later this week.

Enjoy the claycourt season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog