Davydenko Uncut

‘I am a very spiritual person’

Nikolay Davydenko
, nicknamed the ‘Iron Man’, has made the most of the packed ATP schedule, performing consistently enough to claim the No. 3 spot (before Novak Djokovic took over). In an email interview with Nandita Sridhar, the Russian, who has confirmed his participation in the 2009 Chennai Open, speaks about the match-fixing controversy, his second visit to Chennai and his performances in 2008.

What are your expectations from the 2009 Chennai Open?
After eight years, I will be back in India and will keep my mind calm and focussed on the game. I hope to win matches and have a great start to the year. I am looking forward to the crowd support.

What was your previous Chennai Open experience like?

The Chennai Open has been a great tournament for me. I had started my first match in 2001 with the Chennai Open — the beginning of my career which has had ups and downs. I played against Byron Black and lost the match in three tough sets 4-6, 6-4, 3-6. After the Chennai Open, I participated in the first Grand Slam of my career at the Australian Open, where I made it to the second round before losing to the former World No. 1, Patrick Rafter, in four sets. This performance gave the public a chance to witness my talent and ability to play tennis.

How much did the match-fixing allegations and the controversies affect you and your game this year?
Yes, it was difficult but I am happy that I overcame the difficult period. However, this has made me mentally tough and stronger.

What were your immediate thoughts when you were cleared of the allegations? Did you feel wronged for having been put through so much, or was it relief?
Tennis is very close to my heart, and the almighty has been there for me always. I am a very spiritual person and my family knows that I won’t do anything wrong. They were always there with me and that gave me the strength to go on and be positive, and I knew that I would get justice in the end. Things have changed for the better now and I need to move on in life. I kept myself mentally strong and physically fit. Tennis kept me going.

What are your thoughts on the controversies that have tarnished an otherwise clean sport like tennis?

I wouldn’t like to comment on it.

What are the positives you would take from your performance in 2008?

This year has been great for me, right from the beginning of the season, when I reached the semifinal of Doha before losing to Andy Murray. I reached the fourth round of the Australian Open, before losing to Mikhail Youzhny, 6–7, 3–6, 1–6. I also made it to the semifinals of Dubai, losing to Feliciano López in three sets. The most important win for me was at the Miami Masters, where I defeated Rafael Nadal in the final, 6-4, 6-2 to claim my second ATP Masters Series title. I also won my 13th career title in Pöertschach. After a disappointing French Open, I won in Warsaw. The year has been good for me.


What are your goals for 2009?

To give my best in every match and to stay focussed during my match so that I can convert the close matches into victories.


What was it like being the third best player in the world behind Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal? What do you have to say about the rivalry?

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are both equally competent, and are great players. I won my Miami final over Rafael Nadal but lost to him at the Monte Carlo Masters. I played with Roger Federer at the 2006 Australian Open but lost the match to him. Both of them are excellent players and they keep complementing each other. Both are my favourites and I like playing with them.


Despite being a former World No. 3, do you feel like you do not receive your due from the media and the public?

No, media and public have always been there for me and I have always received appreciation from them on my good days and bad days. It’s the public that loves me so much and keeps me motivated throughout a match.


What are your Grand Slam-specific expectations from 2009?

As I said before, I would love to perform my best and win a Grand Slam tournament and that’s my target. This is only possible with focus and consistent performances.


You play more tournaments than most players. Does the current ATP schedule work for you, or do you agree it’s crowded?

I have been called the ‘Iron Man’ because I play in more tournaments per year than any other player. I am like a machine, fit for every match and I give my best for all my matches. I have a consistent style of play which is my major strength and keeps me going. I am fine with the current ATP schedule and love playing tennis, which keeps me going.


What is it about Russian tennis that it produces so many quality players?

Well, our country has had great players in its history. Tennis has become a huge craze in Russia. Many of the players are all top stars and it feels nice to have so many of them playing currently.


Grand Slam or Davis Cup?

Well, Grand Slam.


The greatest moment in your professional career so far?

Winning the Miami Masters 2008 by defeating Rafael Nadal in the final, to claim my second ATP Masters Series title.


What is Nikolay Davydenko like off the tennis court?

I love spending time with my family and besides that, in my free time, I love listening to music, going fishing, playing soccer and hockey and cycling.


(Thanks, Moose)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Harrietcabelly Blog